Skip to main content

Coaching Retrospective: What impact have we had in five years?

Coaching Retrospective: What impact have we had in five years?  A little over five years ago, I sat across the table from seven or eight of our school’s senior leadership team to be interviewed for a newly-created position: Teaching and Learning Coach.  “Tell us about a time you helped others be reflective.” “What do you think about when you are planning instruction?” The questions weren’t hard to answer, but I had no idea what they thought of my responses.   At the time, I really didn’t have a clear concept of what the role of Teaching & Learning Coach would entail or whether I would be a good fit. I went home thinking I had quite possibly embarrassed myself in front of the whole LLT.  I guess I did okay in the interview though, because eventually I was offered the role, and became part of a cross-school team. The team has ebbed and flowed a bit over these five years, but one thing has been very consistent: the group of people I’ve been privileged to work with has been amazing. Th

Differentiated Learning: What do we do with those students who are already proficient?


I'm embracing my inner vulnerability and writing this blog post about something that is very much still in progress and quite frankly out of my comfort zone. In her book, Daring Greatly, Brené Brown describes vulnerability as "uncertainty, risk, and emotional exposure. It's that unstable feeling we get when we step out of our comfort zone or do something that forces us to loosen control." This semester as part of my coaching role, Anna has asked me to use my classroom as a 'lab classroom' to try out some strategies for extending kids in math. I began doing a self-study after being inspired by a Cult of Pedagogy podcast, How to Create a Self-Paced Classroom. While I am giving this framework a go in my my math classroom during my current unit of study, this post is a reflection upon three pieces that I am paying close attention to so far. I am tracking six high achieving and highly able students while implementing the model. I will do more writing about the self-paced framework itself in the near future. In the meantime, I highly recommend the Modern Classroom Project's free course. Maybe a February break project?

I've been asking myself, "How are these students displaying their abilities? Are these students actively wrestling with problems and content at their level?" Through observation, anecdotal notes, and surveys, as well as refining and reflecting on my own teaching practice I hope to further differentiate my student's experience through this study.

Highly able and high achievers come in many shapes and sizes but they have one thing in common, they meet the grade level standards "too fast." Sometimes these students are highly visible. Picture the student who completes all assignments in a timely fashion and aces all assessments. Some are less visible. Picture the student who doesn't have the fluency they need, instead trying to make everything perfect. Or the student who struggles to think linearly when constructing an argument.

I believe that highly able and high achieving students need self pacing, deeper and more advanced content, and opportunities to collaborate with other strong students. These students thrive on the teacher being a "guide on the side" rather than a "sage on the stage." And they, along with all their peers, need differentiation to grow in the ways that are unique to them. As this can be overwhelming for us busy teachers I am trying to practice using pedagogies, systems, and frameworks that will do the work for me.

3 ways I am trying to differentiate learning for these students:


1. Extension activities are embedded into key competency lessons, revision days, unit ends: All students begin with the grade level instruction to ensure that there are not any holes in their learning, they aren't missing vocabulary, or other conceptual understandings. While other students spend their days wrestling with grade level work, high achieving and highly able students spend more time extending, transferring, and/or demonstrating learning at a higher or deeper level through extension activities.

2. Consistent and timely feedback on frequent Mastery Checks: Like exit tickets students are asked to show that they have mastered each and every competency at the end of a lesson. This group of students are encouraged to demonstrate their learning at a higher level. After practicing the skill through extension, and challenge activities students can opt to take the challenge level mastery check. As students only move onto the next competency when they have shown mastery I am forced to stay on top of my feedback and next steps through these checks. While this traditionally has been easier for me with grade level and struggling students it is now becoming an important aspect for my higher students too. As the checks intentionally only contain a few questions, it stays manageable. Through public pacers classroom peers see that even the strongest mathematicians revise their work as a part of the learning process after these checks are returned.

3.
Self chosen goals with time and support structures: Autonomy and choice drive a learning orientation and growth mindset in students. Every Wednesday is goal day in my math classroom. Students have self identified goals (with my coaching of course) and are in the drivers seat as to how they will learn, practice, and even demonstrate what they learn. This is a wonderful time for high achieving students to follow a particular interest or need in math, push themselves to solve challenging problems, and/or attend to one of the math practices. Students in my room have goals around vocabulary, problem solving, skills from past units, and constructing and critiquing arguments.

When I slow down, observe, look at data my coach, Tricia has taken, and reflect I can serve my highly able and achieving students just as well as any other students in my room! I will take that as a win! I have a long way to go but this reflection has been a good point of finding a few little successes and next steps for me.

Do you have other ideas for keeping your fastest learners motivated, engaged, and learning the skills that they need? I would love to hear from you in a comment below.

Sybil (halls@isb.be)



Comments

  1. I think the regular exit cards / mastery checks are key for helping the kids gauge how they are doing with each skill and understanding. Combined with the self-pacing, it means that they have more agency over their own learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Mastery Checks allow for specific individualised feedback on one skill at a time. This together with self pacing empowers students to act on their feedback and ultimately learn and practice more if need be. Before playing with the self pacing system I found myself moving kids on to the next skill, even if they weren't ready or missing an opportunity to extend kids when they needed it. Now my students have the power, space, and tools to take the next steps that are appropriate for them individually.

      Delete
  2. Really thoughtful post, Sybil. Love the idea of loosening control and your lab classroom observations show the value of the reflection required. Admire this observation: "I'm embracing my inner vulnerability and writing this blog post about something that is very much still in progress and quite frankly out of my comfort zone."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike! I really thrive on innovating and reflecting on my work in the classroom. Continual reflection based on data is helping me concretely develop and implement next steps for my learners. One major aha I have had during this particular unit was the idea of teaching a micro-skill that multiple kids showed they needed on Mastery Checks through video instruction. I used to think that the best option was to do a small group lesson with these students, now I think that sometimes a one minute video can do the trick even more efficiently!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Wellbeing: How coaching (and positive psychology) can help

“Wow, I feel like I’ve just been through therapy - thank you!” “I feel SO much better about things than I did two months ago.” “You are a really good listener.”  The purpose of the Teaching & Learning Coaching program at ISB is very clear: to maximize student learning. However, after five years of hearing comments like the above from educators I’ve coached, I have come to notice that coaching has a very common side-effect: improving teacher wellbeing. If you know me well, you probably know that I have developed a bit of an obsession with wellness over the past couple of years. I regularly listen to podcasts like Feel Better, Live More with Dr. Chatterjee , Unlocking Us with Brene Brown and Delicious Ways to Feel Better with Ella Mills, and more often than not I find myself reading the books of the authors they interview. During Spring Lockdown 2020, I took the Science of Wellbeing course by Yale professor Laurie Santos, and since then I’ve added her podcast The Happiness Lab in

Sharing and Celebrating

During our collaborative reflections last month it became clear that one of the key elements that I was lacking during these pandemic times was the ease and volume of opportunities to share, celebrate, and connect with colleagues and students about their accomplishments and curiosities for future growth.  I’m sure this lack has been felt by everyone, and what I have to add is not particularly groundbreaking, but hopefully if you read on it can help rejuvenate what we know is best.  I pinch myself most days that I get to not only engage with students, but also get to collaborate with colleagues on new learning adventures in my role as a tech integrator.  These adventures, like most meaningful growth, start in discomfort and hopefully finds an ending to reflect, celebrate, and share what we have learned.  Unfortunately, this calendar year seems heavily weighted toward discomfort, with limited time and energy to complete the lather part of the cycle.  So when we were forced to take the