Skip to main content

Coaching Retrospective: What impact have we had in five years?

Coaching Retrospective: What impact have we had in five years?  A little over five years ago, I sat across the table from seven or eight of our school’s senior leadership team to be interviewed for a newly-created position: Teaching and Learning Coach.  “Tell us about a time you helped others be reflective.” “What do you think about when you are planning instruction?” The questions weren’t hard to answer, but I had no idea what they thought of my responses.   At the time, I really didn’t have a clear concept of what the role of Teaching & Learning Coach would entail or whether I would be a good fit. I went home thinking I had quite possibly embarrassed myself in front of the whole LLT.  I guess I did okay in the interview though, because eventually I was offered the role, and became part of a cross-school team. The team has ebbed and flowed a bit over these five years, but one thing has been very consistent: the group of people I’ve been privileged to work with has been amazing. Th

Sharing and Celebrating

During our collaborative reflections last month it became clear that one of the key elements that I was lacking during these pandemic times was the ease and volume of opportunities to share, celebrate, and connect with colleagues and students about their accomplishments and curiosities for future growth.  I’m sure this lack has been felt by everyone, and what I have to add is not particularly groundbreaking, but hopefully if you read on it can help rejuvenate what we know is best. 

I pinch myself most days that I get to not only engage with students, but also get to collaborate with colleagues on new learning adventures in my role as a tech integrator.  These adventures, like most meaningful growth, start in discomfort and hopefully finds an ending to reflect, celebrate, and share what we have learned.  Unfortunately, this calendar year seems heavily weighted toward discomfort, with limited time and energy to complete the lather part of the cycle.  So when we were forced to take the time and reflect on what we had learned over the past year, it hit home how much I (and everyone) missed the regular sharing and celebrating. I didn't fully appreciate how much my privileged role energized me - the celebrating, sharing, and connecting across classrooms and divisions just wasn't happening with the same regularity, and I was missing it.


I’ve only been on campus for 18 months, most of which are in these extraordinary conditions, but I can attest that there is something true, something beyond any salesmanship, about the reputational mystique of ISB... it comes out when long-time staff and alumni speak about its culture.  There is something special in the relationships built, in the support systems that promote human flourishing that people embody and enact daily.  I can't speak to what it was like before I got here but I can imagine since in spite of these trying times, the caring actions of culture building are still happening all around us, albeit in different forms.  Lately, I've added actively seeking out celebrating and sharing what we are doing on campus to my self-care list and it has definitely helped fill my bucket and change my perspective on this year.  Some paths I've followed so far:


Seesaw posts from my children's classes - our teachers are amazing (shoutout to 4R and 6MH)!   I've tried to give my kids more space this year to own their learning so I hadn't been checking in on every notification (and honestly, often I've been too tired) but now I make it more regular and really celebrate the growth and amazing things happening in the classes.


MS Portfolio reflections in Bulb - amazing reflections and artistic work being shared.


ArtsTV - put aside 3-5 minutes in class and push play on some amazing performances from students around the campus.  A big thanks to everyone involved in the hours that go into getting each video ready to share... I reaped the benefits as the mood of my class immediately changed and showers of support rained down on the performers in my class as we watched.


Monday Wisdom, the Coaching Site and this blog - has helped feed my professional hunger when Covid prevents conversations.

ILP Meetings - Love listening to students and teachers talk about growth and accomplishments they are proud of.


Joining another class - I've been lucky to have a colleague let me audit their class which has been wonderful to watch an expert do what they do :) 


And I'm looking forward to the PechaKucha organized by a group of ISB parents next week (Tuesday March 9th 20:00 - Guitar Building; Lifestyle Impacts on Huntington's Disease; The International Space Station; Reversing the Aging Process, Craft Beer Revolution:  Zoom Link Meeting ID: 282 689 5521 Passcode: 306071)


If you know where to find more sharing that we can celebrate, please put a link into the comments :)



Sharing and celebrating nourishes the social aspect necessary for impactful learning.  We need supportive relationships for our growth.  We need to be seen to know what we do has value and is meaningful.  We like to support others in their growth and be a part of their journeys.  COVID restrictions has undoubtedly made this harder but it also has magnified how important it is for all of us, but most importantly for the culture of a school.  I'm looking forward to taking the best of these hard times and incorporating it with things ISB has done well forever.  Furthermore, I wonder if there are even more ways to create conditions for sharing and celebrating?  I'll leave this post with some half thoughts and inklings of directions - feedback welcome :)

  • Relaunch of teaching and learning discussion forums with some scaffolding/templating for easy searching/use

  • More reflective videos/podcasts/blogs of professional practice - I get so many ideas when I hear a colleague talk about their learning journeys.

  • We have new tech coming... regular tech slams (30 seconds or less on how to leverage a tech tool to enhance student learning or save teacher time)

  • Share cross divisional happenings - maybe the CleverTouch displays, updates, walking tours, etc.

  • More designated opportunities to share (faculty rooms/meetings)

  • Online communities

  • More Beer... it's Belgium

Cheers,
Brock Baker

Comments

  1. Being a teacher is a deeply collaborative profession. We are constantly collaborating, even when the classroom is silent and students are working independently. The work we do with our students keeps us nourished, but I agree that the connections we make with the professionals around us are key to a sense of purpose and being part of a collective. I appreciate your reminder to actively seek out opportunities to feel connected, and you're right that that connection can also be felt by just being aware of what is going on around us. As the weather improves, hopefully we can be outside together again, and I second the need to actively engage with Belgian culture through beer - anything in the name of assimilation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brock! Other opportunities to share and celebrate that we had in the past in the HS were the "soundbites" we could choose during PD days; colleagues were sharing in a 40 minute workshop practices, PD workshop they attended, reflections, etc. It was always truly useful, engaging, ready-to-use, inspiring... and too short for all the discussions it would launch. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to locate some of the older soundbites! Thanks for the nibble!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Brock,
    I've really felt my connection to the wider community shrink this year- it's great to get a snapshot of some of the creative and energising things happening around the school!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Wellbeing: How coaching (and positive psychology) can help

“Wow, I feel like I’ve just been through therapy - thank you!” “I feel SO much better about things than I did two months ago.” “You are a really good listener.”  The purpose of the Teaching & Learning Coaching program at ISB is very clear: to maximize student learning. However, after five years of hearing comments like the above from educators I’ve coached, I have come to notice that coaching has a very common side-effect: improving teacher wellbeing. If you know me well, you probably know that I have developed a bit of an obsession with wellness over the past couple of years. I regularly listen to podcasts like Feel Better, Live More with Dr. Chatterjee , Unlocking Us with Brene Brown and Delicious Ways to Feel Better with Ella Mills, and more often than not I find myself reading the books of the authors they interview. During Spring Lockdown 2020, I took the Science of Wellbeing course by Yale professor Laurie Santos, and since then I’ve added her podcast The Happiness Lab in

Differentiated Learning: What do we do with those students who are already proficient?

I'm embracing my inner vulnerability and writing this blog post about something that is very much still in progress and quite frankly out of my comfort zone. In her book, Daring Greatly,  BrenĂ© Brown  describes  vulnerability  as "uncertainty, risk, and emotional exposure. It's that unstable feeling we get when we step out of our comfort zone or  do  something that forces us to loosen control."  This semester as part of my coaching role, Anna has asked me to use my classroom as a 'lab classroom' to try out some strategies for extending kids in math. I began doing a self-study after being inspired by a Cult of Pedagogy podcast, How to Create a Self-Paced Classroom . While I am giving this framework a go in my my math classroom during my current unit of study, this post is a reflection upon three pieces that I am paying close attention to so far. I am tracking six high achieving and highly able students while implementing the model. I will do more writing abou