Skip to main content

Coaching Retrospective: What impact have we had in five years?

Coaching Retrospective: What impact have we had in five years?  A little over five years ago, I sat across the table from seven or eight of our school’s senior leadership team to be interviewed for a newly-created position: Teaching and Learning Coach.  “Tell us about a time you helped others be reflective.” “What do you think about when you are planning instruction?” The questions weren’t hard to answer, but I had no idea what they thought of my responses.   At the time, I really didn’t have a clear concept of what the role of Teaching & Learning Coach would entail or whether I would be a good fit. I went home thinking I had quite possibly embarrassed myself in front of the whole LLT.  I guess I did okay in the interview though, because eventually I was offered the role, and became part of a cross-school team. The team has ebbed and flowed a bit over these five years, but one thing has been very consistent: the group of people I’ve been privileged to work with has been amazing. Th

Because there are 20 people in the room



Bambi Betts, Director of the Principals' Training Center (PTC), once said to me that the only reason we do many of the things we do in our classrooms is "because we have 20 people in the room." In other words, NOT (or at least not necessarily) because it’s best for learning. I immediately knew she was right, but it is only recently that I have come to reflect on just how right she was.

The courses offered by the PTC are going online this year and so, along with all the other PTC trainers I am in the middle of reshaping the course I teach each summer for an online environment. I am not a huge fan of online courses. While I have taken a couple that were excellent,  most are decidedly mediocre. A forced shift like this really makes you think, though. Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe talk about the ‘twin sins’ of education  - coverage, and activity-based teaching. I have to be honest and say that there are times when no matter how much I try to design learning experiences around specific learning objectives, I find myself defaulting to creating an activity which will work to keep 20 students  (or 40, actually, in the case of the PTC), active simultaneously. Being freed from the constraint of having to think of what 40 people will be doing simultaneously has allowed me to focus much more on what might be necessary for different groups of students to achieve the learning outcomes. The change is actually much greater than I had anticipated.


The structure the PTC has put in place for the courses has helped me enormously in my thinking. The online courses will be structured around four chunks:


  1. Watch & Engage  - which everyone will do and which will largely happen synchronously (90 minutes to 2 hours each day).

  2. Get Perspectives  - opportunities for students to test their thinking against the thinking of others in the course and beyond.

  3. Practice Skills  - exercises for students to practice the skills objectives.

  4. Go Deep  - opportunities for students to go more deeply into particular aspects of the content.


Thinking through the Watch and Engage chunk has forced me to really think about what it is that every single student absolutely needs to have access to. Also to consider what pieces of the course really require me to be there with the students to guide, identify misconceptions and foster thinking in the moment.


Get Perspectives has pushed me to think more deeply about what perspectives students need to encounter and how they might encounter them. It has also made me consider where it is most beneficial for students to interact, discuss and get perspectives from each other and where they should really be doing some thinking on their own.


The sections which have really changed the way I think about a course I have taught for 16 years running though, are the final two  - Practice Skills and Go Deep. Skills practice requires that every student is working at their own level. In the past, to be honest, this aspect of my PTC course has been quite weak.  Not having 40 people in the room has enabled me to think about ways that I can truly differentiate both the actual skills each individual may need to work on and the different levels of guidance / scaffolding they may need in that practice.  If I shift to an ISB context and think about the variance in readiness of students in my Grade 10 Social Science course last year in a skill set like argument writing skills, this might have meant creating practice exercises at different levels for a variety of skills like:

  • structuring an argument

  • structuring a paragraph within an argument

  • structuring counter-arguments

  • using a variety of language tools to introduce different perspectives

...among other things. A bit of work to set up, but when I started playing around with allowing students to work more from their current level of ‘readiness’ last year, I did indeed see a much greater level of individual progress.


Go Deep offers equally rich opportunities for differentiation, but perhaps more around interest. This chunk has allowed me to think about what individuals or groups of students might be interested in investigating more deeply, regardless of whether anyone else in the room is interested in the same thing. Once again, let me think about how this might have looked in my Social Science course from last year. The course includes a unit on social justice, where we used apartheid as the shared illustrative content. Beyond the range of choices I already offered it might have meant providing opportunities to:

  • investigate the role of sport in the anti-apartheid movement

  • investigate the role of music in the anti-apartheid movement

  • go more deeply into the role that young people, especially students, played in the anti-apartheid movement etc.


Every one of these possibilities seems to have the potential to motivate certain students, and perhaps even increase their motivation in other aspects of the unit.

One thing is for sure  - even if I go back to teaching my PTC course in person next year, the course will look nothing like what it did before the pandemic. I won’t be planning for 40 people in the room. I will be much more thoughtful about what the whole group really needs to do together and about where I should be offering opportunities for individuals to practice skills and to explore aspects of the course that interest them in more depth. 


It’s actually pretty interesting what a simple structure like these four learning chunks can do to stimulate some different kinds of thinking. It will definitely positively affect any future teaching I do at ISB as well. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Wellbeing: How coaching (and positive psychology) can help

“Wow, I feel like I’ve just been through therapy - thank you!” “I feel SO much better about things than I did two months ago.” “You are a really good listener.”  The purpose of the Teaching & Learning Coaching program at ISB is very clear: to maximize student learning. However, after five years of hearing comments like the above from educators I’ve coached, I have come to notice that coaching has a very common side-effect: improving teacher wellbeing. If you know me well, you probably know that I have developed a bit of an obsession with wellness over the past couple of years. I regularly listen to podcasts like Feel Better, Live More with Dr. Chatterjee , Unlocking Us with Brene Brown and Delicious Ways to Feel Better with Ella Mills, and more often than not I find myself reading the books of the authors they interview. During Spring Lockdown 2020, I took the Science of Wellbeing course by Yale professor Laurie Santos, and since then I’ve added her podcast The Happiness Lab in

Differentiated Learning: What do we do with those students who are already proficient?

I'm embracing my inner vulnerability and writing this blog post about something that is very much still in progress and quite frankly out of my comfort zone. In her book, Daring Greatly,  BrenĂ© Brown  describes  vulnerability  as "uncertainty, risk, and emotional exposure. It's that unstable feeling we get when we step out of our comfort zone or  do  something that forces us to loosen control."  This semester as part of my coaching role, Anna has asked me to use my classroom as a 'lab classroom' to try out some strategies for extending kids in math. I began doing a self-study after being inspired by a Cult of Pedagogy podcast, How to Create a Self-Paced Classroom . While I am giving this framework a go in my my math classroom during my current unit of study, this post is a reflection upon three pieces that I am paying close attention to so far. I am tracking six high achieving and highly able students while implementing the model. I will do more writing abou

Sharing and Celebrating

During our collaborative reflections last month it became clear that one of the key elements that I was lacking during these pandemic times was the ease and volume of opportunities to share, celebrate, and connect with colleagues and students about their accomplishments and curiosities for future growth.  I’m sure this lack has been felt by everyone, and what I have to add is not particularly groundbreaking, but hopefully if you read on it can help rejuvenate what we know is best.  I pinch myself most days that I get to not only engage with students, but also get to collaborate with colleagues on new learning adventures in my role as a tech integrator.  These adventures, like most meaningful growth, start in discomfort and hopefully finds an ending to reflect, celebrate, and share what we have learned.  Unfortunately, this calendar year seems heavily weighted toward discomfort, with limited time and energy to complete the lather part of the cycle.  So when we were forced to take the